KMEA All-State Orchestra
2019-20 Audition Excerpts
Participation Eligibility Requirements
There are three requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for the KMEA All-State Orchestra:
- The student must first be a performing member of their District’s 2019-20 KMEA Band, Jazz Ensemble, or Orchestra.
- The student’s director must be a member of KMEA, will register each audition online, and send the Audition Invoice with appropriate payment to the KMEA Ensembles Manager. These must be completed by the deadline established by KMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
The following excerpts will be used for the 2019-20 school year.
Violin – Download
Viola – Download
Cello – Download
Bass – Download
There are 2 mistakes in the viola Mendelssohn excerpt:
- Measure 8, the last note should be an Ab
- Measure 13, the first note should be a D
- Scales & Arpeggios – One major and one melodic minor scale
- Candidate’s choice of keys
- Three octaves, hands together
- Sixteenth notes, slurred
- Quarter note at a minimum of 60 bpm
Musicians are expected to play 4-5 minutes from a solo of the musician’s choice, without accompaniment. Musicians are encouraged to choose a piece that best demonstrates their level of playing.