9:30 AM – 3:30 PM
2020 KMEA MENTORING CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Oct. 24, 2020
9:30 AM – Opening Session: Cultivating Connections
President’s Message: Gae Phillips
Big Ideas/Fast Tempo
Burning Questions/Current Challenges
10:30 AM – District Breakouts Sessions
ECKMEA District Mentoring Session
NEKMEA District Mentoring Session
SEKMEA District Mentoring Session
NCKMEA District Mentoring Session
SCKMEA District Mentoring Session
NWKMEA District Mentoring Session
SWKMEA District Mentoring Session
Collegiate Mentoring Session
Kansas Fine Arts Coordinators – Preparing for Interview Season, Mini-Interviews
11:30 AM – General Sessions
Kids Before Content, Jason Sickel, Overland Park, Kansas, Presenter. Secondary Focus
Making Music, Bringing Joy, Kathy Jones, Augusta, Kansas, Presenter. General Music Focus
Secrets to Surviving When Teaching in Smaller Schools – Vesta Jo Still, Phillipsburg, Kansas and Rosie Sweaney, Sedan, Kansas, Presenters. Small Schools Focus
12:30 PM – LUNCH
1:00 PM – General Sessions
Practical Advocacy Tips for Beginning Music Educators, Kelly Knedler, Dodge City, Kansas, Presenter. Elementary and Secondary Focus
Engaging Students Through Technology, Panel, Elementary and Secondary Focus
Recent Graduate Panel. Recent graduates will share their advice for how to get the most out of your college experience, land your first job and succeed in your first years of teaching. Collegiate Focus
2:00 PM – Content Breakouts – Burning Questions/Current Challenges
Band Mentoring Session
Secondary Vocal Mentoring Session
Orchestra Mentoring Session
General Music Mentoring Session
K-12 Vocal/Instrumental Mentoring Session
3:00 PM – Closing Session
3:30 PM – Conference Ends
Are you a first or second year Kansas Music Educator? If so, the KMEA Mentoring Network is here to provide you with opportunities to…
- CONNECT with experienced mentors and fellow beginning music educators
- ENGAGE in professional learning through mentoring events and online discussions
- ENJOY SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT from a community of professionals who are committed to your success.
Register your email
If you would like to receive monthly emails from the KMEA Mentoring Network (and you aren’t already receiving them) please fill out our contact form. Once you have registered, The KMEA Mentoring Minute will be delivered to your inbox and the mentoring team will be in touch.
Contact Mentoring team for Zoom links.
Fall District Mentoring Meetings for Beginning Music Educators
- Southwest District: October 6, 4:30 – 5:30 PM, via Zoom
- South Central District: September 21, 4:30 – 5:30 PM, via Zoom
- Northwest District: September 19, 10:30 – 11:30 AM via Zoom and October 18, in person, 3:00 PM with dinner, Phillipsburg
- Northeast District: September 14 via Zoom, 6:00 PM. Fall Business meeting begins at 7:00 PM
- East Central District: September 8 via Zoom, 5:30 PM. Fall Business meeting begins at 6:30 PM
- North Central District: August 26 via Zoom, Downbeat Meeting. 5:30 PM social, 5:45 PM Business Meeting
- Southeast District: August 1, Arma High School. Connections were made and a great time was had by all!!
Mentoring Hangouts – via Zoom
- Saturday, August 29, 10:30-11:30
- Saturday, September 26, 10:30 AM
KMEA Mentoring Conference – via GoToWebinar
- October 24, 2020. More info coming soon.
Have a question or need help? Contact your District or State Mentoring Chairs.
NWKMEA: Bill Schick mentoring[at]nwkmea.org
NCKMEA: Jamie Rogers mentoring[at]nckmea.org
NEKMEA: Anne Neal mentoring[at]nekmea.org
ECKMEA: Jason Sickel mentoring[at]eckmea.org
SWKMEA: Shara Bane mentoring[at]swkmea.org
SCKMEA: Gretchen Bixler and Ron Chronister mentoring[at]sckmea.org
SEKMEA: Mary Jo Harper mentoring[at]sekmea.org
State Co-Chairs: Janelle Brower, Holly Taylor and Lynn Unruh mentoring[at]ksmea.org
New Teacher Handbook
Be sure to check out the New Teacher Handbook, a helpful resource designed for both first and second year teachers and experienced teachers who are new to Kansas.
Are you an experienced teacher who is new to Kansas?
Welcome!! While the KMEA State and District websites are a great resource to help you learn how things work in Kansas, sometimes it helps to talk through the details with an experienced colleague. Contact mentoring[at]ksmea.org to ask questions or to get connected with job-alike colleagues in your area.