Performance Group Guidelines
We no longer accept entries on CD and DVD disk-based media or thumb drives. All files must be uploaded as part of a Performance Group Application.
- Media files must be mp3 (audio) or mp4 (show choir video – contact KMEA Webmaster for Dropbox address).
- Supporting documents (programs or letters) must be in PDF format.
- For signed letters from an administrator, modern copiers have the ability to scan a document to a PDF format file.
- For all file types, free file format converters are linked inside the application site.
The following are the guidelines for the 2023 performance cycle.
- Audio recordings must be saved as mp3 format files with a maximum bitrate of 256 kbps. The recordings should have NO identifying information. There are no specific requirements for file names. Judges will not have direct access to the files or the original file names.
- Show Choir applications must submit a single video in lieu of audio recordings. The video file must be submitted as an mp4 format video file.
- Audio recordings must include no more/no less than 3 selections offering as much variety as possible. Each movement of a larger work is considered one selection. Audio recordings must be submitted as three separate mp3 files, with each file containing one selection or movement of the application. Audio files must be uploaded in the order of selections listed on the application.
- The recordings should be ONLY the group listed on the application form (1 app-1 group-1 set of three mp3 files). Recordings must not include any talking of any kind other than narration included within a selection. No verbal introductions!
- All recordings MUST have been recorded after Sep. 1, 2021.
- Submit a program or programs from which the recording was extracted. If the recording was made during a recording session, submit a signed letter on school stationery from a school administrator, or, if submitting application from a community group, on the organization’s letterhead verifying the recording date. All program or letter submissions must be uploaded as PDF format files.
- The director on the recorded audition and the director of the group in 2022-2023 must be the same person.
This person must also be a member of NAfME-KMEA and will register for the 2023 In-Service Workshop.
- Entries are limited to two ensembles per KMEA member for submission and selection for performing ensembles at the February In-Service Workshop.
- Any violation of these guidelines not approved by the KMEA President-Elect will result in disqualification of that application.