Music is an integral, vibrant part of life. The lifelong process of learning, performing, creating, and appreciating music brings meaning and richness to our heritage and culture. The Kansas Music Educators Association is an organization of music educators committed to the concept that the study of music is a positive influence in the lives of individuals and society as a whole.
The mission of the Kansas Music Educators Association is to support music educators by fostering leadership, providing professional development, and promoting the advocacy of music learning in schools and communities.
KMEA will provide leadership in:
- Recruiting, retaining, and mentoring of music educators
- Encouraging the professional growth and development of music educators
- Improving the quality of music education in Kansas
- Responding to the changes that technology brings to music education
- Strengthening performance ensembles
To achieve this mission, KMEA will continue to strengthen its organization through a teamwork
approach that reaches out to individuals and groups within communities.
National Standards for Music Education
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Reading and notating music.
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
- Evaluating music and music performances.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.