KMEA All-State Orchestra
2020-21 Audition Excerpts
Participation Eligibility Requirements
There are three requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for the KMEA All-State Orchestra:
- The student must first be a performing member of their District's 2020-21 KMEA Band, Jazz Ensemble, or Orchestra.
- The student's director must be a member of KMEA, will register each audition online, and send the Audition Invoice with appropriate payment to the KMEA All-State Ensembles Manager. These must be completed by the deadline established by KMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
The following excerpts will be used for the 2020-21 school year.
Violin - Download (v2) (see Errata note)
Viola - Download (v2) (see Errata note)
Cello - Download
Bass - Download
- Scales & Arpeggios - One major and one melodic minor scale
- Candidate's choice of keys
- Three octaves, hands together
- Sixteenth notes, slurred
- Quarter note at a minimum of 60 bpm
Musicians are expected to play 4-5 minutes from a solo of the musician's choice, without accompaniment. Musicians are encouraged to choose a piece that best demonstrates their level of playing.
Violin - In the original version a mistake appears in the Bizet, second measure, on the second line. The grace note should be a G# leading into the 16th note section. A replacement file, marked as "v2" in the download links above is now available.
[posted July 16, 2020]
Viola - In the first measure of the Romanian Rhapsody No. 1-the last "A" in the first measure on the first half of beat six should be one octave higher than what is printed in the original excerpt. A replacement file, marked as "v2" in the download links above is now available.
[posted June 19, 2020]