Kansas CMENC Board Meeting
Saturday, June 10, 2006
Ceil J. Riney Fine Arts Center
Friends University, Wichita, Kansas
- Call to Order
- Approval of February 25, 2006 CMENC Board Meeting Minutes.
- Chapter Reports-12 chapters represented out of
the 26 chapters statewide.
- Allen County Community College-Paul Mallory
- Baker University-Christa Webster present.
- Taught lessons to local children.
- Held recital/festival for children to perform.
- Dodge City Community College-Amber Durler
- Chapter involved with recruiting new members.
- Fort Hays State University-Chris Johnson
- Chapter in process of choosing a speaker to come to their school.
- Friends University-Valerie Wood
- The music program has the largest freshman class in past years, so they are busy recruiting.
- Brainstorming ideals to get members to come to meetings.
- Hutchinson Community College-Kathleen Rivers
- Assisted with Jazz festival held at HCC.
- Kansas State University-Kathleen Rivers
- Chapter in process of reorganizing.
- Kansas Wesleyan University-Randolph Castor
- Chapter in restructuring.
- Sterling College-Lisa Ewald
- Revamping current chapter.
- University of Kansas-Andrew Trites
- Chapter performed mock interviews.
- Hosted Dr. David Circle as guest speaker
- Washburn University-Anna Reb
- Members held a solo festival with 387 students participating.
- Made a breakfast for solo participates.
- Assisted with audition days at Washburn University.
- Wichita State University-Andrew Book
- Volunteered at KMEA
- Members attended local public school
- CMENC state advisors present.
- Catherine Mallett, Washburn University
- John Huber, Fort Hays State University
- Old Business
- Vice-President moves up to Presidential office
in the following year.
- Current President can train incoming President.
- Motion made, seconded, and voted in favor of NOT having the Vice-President moved up to the Presidential position in the following year.
- Vice-Presidential duties.
- Chapters are to send monthly reports to the VP,
who will then compile for use on the CMENC website.
- Chapters are to keep reports brief.
- VP will locate Tri-M chapters and then relay the
information to the closest CMENC chapter, so they
may contact them.
- This will help with objective to get CMENC more involved with Tri-M chapters.
- Motion made, seconded, voted in favor of the new duties for the Vice-President. The new duties will be incorporated into the Kansas CMENC Constitution.
- Chapters are to send monthly reports to the VP, who will then compile for use on the CMENC website.
- State secretary appointment.
- Discussion of whether the secretary will be elected or appointed by the President elect.
- Motion made, seconded, and voted in favor of letting the president appoint the state secretary.
- Mentor Program for new teachers.
- Discussion about the fact that new teachers are
lacking mentor resources, or the fact they do not
communicate with other new teachers.
- KMEA already sends out letters to known new teachers in each of the six districts. However, sometimes they are not made aware of all the new teachers graduating because of shortage of communication between KMEA and university advisors.
- Question was presented whether or not this is a CMENC issue.
- Motion was made, seconded, and voted to table the issue until Nathan can present it to the state board.
- Discussion about the fact that new teachers are lacking mentor resources, or the fact they do not communicate with other new teachers.
- Better commucation among CMENC Chapter Advisors
- Discussion as to having a meeting for Chapter Advisors
- suggested having members present.
- the time indicated is Friday morning, 7:00 A.M. to 8:00 A.M.
- Motion was made, seconded, and voted in favor of tabling discussion until Nathan could take the idea to the State board for approval.
- Discussion as to having a meeting for Chapter Advisors during KMEA.
- Voting procedures for CMENC officers.
- Discussion to have all votes in and counted on Friday
- Motion made, seconded, and voted in favor of tabling the discussion so the Nathan could take the schedule change to ISW meeting.
- Discussion about where members could vote at KMEA.
- Volunteers will be located at registration table.
- Volunteers will be located at the door of the luncheon
- No vote needed.
- Discussion about who can vote for the State CMENC officers,
in case of a tie vote.
- Motion was made, seconded, and voted in favor of one vote per chapter present.
- Discussion for procedure for breaking a second tie vote.
- Motion was made, seconded, and voted in favor of allowing the KMEA to flip a coin.
- CMENC President Nathan Dame will present the voting Procedures for approval by the KMEA board meeting in August.
- Discussion to have all votes in and counted on Friday evening,
- Recruiting ideas for small colleges.
- Discussion about forming a committee to contact small
colleges about CMENC.
- Motion was made, seconded, and voted in favor of forming a committee to report at the next meeting.
- Discussion about forming a committee to contact small colleges about CMENC.
- Vice-President moves up to Presidential office in the following year.
- New Business
- Senseney Music Day- Sunday, September 24, 2006, at
Senseney Music, Wichita, KS.
- Discussion of suggested starting time for Music Day.
- Open at: 12:30 P.M.
- Registration until: 2:00 P.M.
- Discussion about opening session.
- Opening Session - Advocacy 2:00 P.M. till 2:30 P.M.
- Discussion on general session.
- Members would like a teacher panel consisting of new first and second year teachers, and also experienced older teachers.
- Teacher panel 2:30 P.M. till 3:15 P.M.
- Discussion business general session.
- Members would like this to be split into two groups consisting of one group of freshman/sophomores, and another of juniors/seniors. The reason being each has different agendas and experiences.
- Business general session. 3:15 P.M. till 3:45 P.M.
- Break time 3:45 P.M. till 4:15 P.M.
- Discussion of Break Out Sessions
- Session 1 4:15 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Session 2 5:00 P.M. to 5:45 P.M.
- Types of break out sessions.
- Session 1- Clinic with clinician, warm up.
- Session 2 - Choral repertoire, sight reading materials and hands on--members to perform sight-reading.
- Session 1 - Resources/ hands on for pre-Elementary to Second grade and also third grade to sixth grade.
- Session 2 - Orff and Kodaly methodology.
- Session 1 - Instrument quality in relation to retention and recruitment.
- Session 2 - Instrument repair which will be broke into several small groups that will address what repairs a band instructor should do, hands on diagnosing, and what tools should a band director have on hand.
- Session 1 - Methods/Pedagogy
- Session 2 - Recruiting/Instrument quality
- Break for shopping before dinner 5:45 P.M. till 6:30 P.M.
- Dinner 6:30 P.M. till 7:00 P.M.
ALL THE ABOVE FOR SENSENEY MUSIC DAYS HAD A MOTION MADE, SECONDED, AND VOTED IN FAVOR TO TABLE, SO THAT NATHAN CAN PRESENT THE SUGGESTED SCHEDULE AND SESSIONS TO DENNY SENSENEY.
- Discussion of suggested starting time for Music Day.
- Can first and second year teachers attend Senseney Music day?
- Discussion, motion made, seconded, and voted in favor of allowing first and second year teachers to attend.
- KCOMPT - Monday, September 25, 2006, Wichita, KS.
- Discussion about who to have as a guest speaker. a. Christopher White suggested:
- Peter Boonshaft author of "Teaching Music with a Passion." He may be out of CMENC price range for KCOMTEP, but perhaps with help can be our speaker at KMEA
- Lynn Brinckmeyer, President of MENC.
- Ron Jones, a retired band director, who speaks on leadership and how to deal with people. He is in our price range and is available. b. Motion was made, seconded, and voted in favor of getting Ron Jones for our speaker at KCOMTEP.
- Constitution Amendment proposals.
- Motion made, seconded, and voted in favor of tabling, because of lack of time, and to allow representatives to take information back to their chapters for approval.
- Southwestern Division CMENC.
- Motion made, seconded and voted in favor of tabling, until next meeting.
- Senseney Music Day- Sunday, September 24, 2006, at Senseney Music, Wichita, KS.