KMEA All-State Wind & Percussion
2017-18 Audition Excerpts
Participation Eligibility Requirements
There are three requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for the KMEA All-State Band and Orchestra Winds/Percussion membership:
Music Requirements for the Live Audition:
- The student must first be a performing member of their District's 2017-18 KMEA Band, Jazz Ensemble, or Orchestra.
- The student's director must be a member of KMEA, will register each audition online, and send the Audition Invoice with appropriate payment to the KMEA Ensembles Manager. These must be completed by the deadline established by KMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
- A full range chromatic scale slurred up and tongued down. Quarter Note MM= 120. Memorization is not required.
- One major scale, two octaves, with up to 4 sharps or 4 flats. Quarter Note MM= 120. Memorization is not required. Slurred up and tongued down. All scales will start on the lowest possible starting note in the practical range. Each scale is non-transposed (i.e., if a trumpet player is asked to perform a C scale, they will be expected to perform a C scale on their instrument, not a C concert scale.) The major scale for each instrument will be posted by the band chairpersons on the morning of live auditions.
- Sections of the required etudes/solos listed below.
- Sight reading
Concerto in C Major, Vivaldi, (RV443) published by International,#2782. Play entire Largo movement, no repeats.
Concerto in G, K313, Mozart, published by International (#1962). Play first movement measure 31 (A) to measure 91. Second movement, 10-27 (F to G with pickup).Edit 5/16/2011: In the 16th measure of the second movement of the Concerto in G, the quarter note E should be an eighth note.
Sonata No. 1, G.F. Handel, published by Carl Fischer (CU-1385). Play all of the opening Adagio and the first Allegro.
48 Famous Studies for Bassoon, Op. 31, W. Ferling, ed. J. Thornton,published by Southern Music (B-242). Page 5, No. 7 in g minor. Play from the beginning to the Largo to the 4th line, stopping after the first count (G eighth note, eighth rest). Also page 6, No. 8 in g minor.Allegro moderato con fuoco. Play from the beginning to the end of the 1st measure on the 6th line.
B-Flat Soprano Clarinet
Weber Concertino, Op. 26, Carl Maria von Weber, published by CarlFischer. Play measures 10-36, and measures 147-238.
NOTE: Please use the following edition: CU724 (Cundy)
Bass and Contra Clarinet
- Measure number 177 in the Carl Fischer edition (formerly a Cundy-Bettoney publication) contains an error which should be addressed. The first 6 notes should be written as sixteenth notes, and not as thirty-second notes.
- In measure number 212, on the "and of 5", the sixteenth note should be "F" not "E".
Allegro Spiritoso, J.B. Senaille/Thurston, published by Southern Music (SU114). The entire piece.
NOTE: Please use the following edition: SU114 (in b-flat). This edition should be used for ALL BASS CLARINETS AND CONTRA-CLARINETS. Eb Contra should read the Bb part.
Saxophones (Alto, Tenor, Baritone)
Selected Studies for Saxophone, H. Voxman, published by Rubank. Page 19, D Major. Play from the beginning to the end of the 5th line. Page 7, F Major. Play the entire etude.
B-flat Cornet and Trumpet
Petite Piece Concertante, G. Balay, published by Kjos, edited by Buchtel. Play from the beginning to measure 58 and from measure 110 to the end.
Concerto, opus 8, Franz Strauss/Sansone, published by Southern Music (SS-352). Play letter A to letter B. Play letter D to letter G.
edit Jan. 2, 2012: Please note that in the 21st measure after F the last four notes should be sixteenth notes.
Trombone and Euphonium
Contest Piece (Morceau de Concours), opus 57, G. Alary, published by Carl Fischer (CU-754). Play measures 7-23. Play measures 52-63. Play measures 111 to the end.
For the TC Baritone use the Carl Fischer Repertoire Classics for Trumpet (WF114) ISBN 0-8250-8279-6 (note changes in the TC part: The dynamics and the articulations are exactly the same as the original bass clef version except for the crescendo in measure 9 and measure 18 should be G,G,A,B,C instead of G,G,A#,B,C.)
NOTE: The written CONCERT "Eb" in measure 11 on beat two should be a CONCERT "F" in both the Bass Clef and Treble Clef Versions. Also, please note 24 measures from the end on beat three the written CONCERT "Bb" should be a CONCERT "C" in both the Bass Clef and Treble Clef Versions. Please perform both of these changes in your audition.
Suite for Tuba, Don Haddad, published by Shawnee Press (LA 66). Begin page 2 at letter H to the end of the first movement. Page 2, second movement from the beginning to the end of the 1st ending before letter D on page 3.
Percussionists may audition in one or more areas, but a separate form and payment must be submitted for each audition area.
26 Etudes, The Solo Timpanist, Vic Firth, published by Carl Fischer (04402). Play all of Etude II and Etude III. Beginning of Etude III, M.M. dotted-quarter = 69.
Portraits in Rhythm, 50 Studies for Snare Drum, Anthony Cirone, published by Belwin Mills (HAB 101). Play all of Etude #11 on page 13. Play all of Etude #6 on page 8.
Masterpieces for Marimba, arr. Thomas McMillan, published by Belwin/Warner Bros. (PROBK 1202). Play page 10 and 11: "Sonata" by Handel. Observe the first repeat; omit the second repeat.